My grandmother’s story (via paranormal-intercourse)
My grandmother, who’s a devout Christian born in Texas in 1929, has always been very open minded. She’s not racist or homophobic, most likely because as a Mexican she knew what it was like to face discrimination, but she’s extremely pro-choice, and a few years ago she told us why.
When she was a preteen (11-13), she moved to San Francisco and lived in an apartment building for some time, the woman in the apartment next to her was a young single nurse living on her own. This woman was very friendly, hard not to like.
After a while my grandmother noticed she hadn’t seen the nurse in some time, as did other people in the building. Around the time my grandmother was wondering where she went, she began to notice a bad smell coming from what seemed like somewhere in the apartment. As time went on the smell got worse, until her family realized it was coming from the apartment next to them, the nurse’s home.
When they broke the door down they found the nurse dead in her bathroom, the smell was from her body beginning to rot.
Turns out that the nurse had gotten pregnant from a very high up MARRIED doctor at the hospital she worked at. Of course in that time having a baby out of wedlock, especially from a married man, was something extremely shameful, so she had tried to give herself a home abortion and died in the process.
My grandmother never forgot what had happened to the nurse, and that was the reason she was and still is vehemently pro-choice.
When people say shit like “Our generation survived Roe V Wade” it makes me want to tear my hair out. These people, either out of ignorance or just plain stupidity, don’t acknowledge the FACT that Roe V Wade wasn’t the start of abortion, it was the LEGALIZATION of it.
LEGALIZATION MEANING THAT IT HAD ALREADY BEEN HAPPENING, NOW IT WAS JUST LEGAL TO DO IT.
Before Roe V Wade women like my grandmother’s neighbor were dying or being mutilated by home abortions or unlicensed doctors. Women are going to get abortions whether it’s legal or not, the best thing you can do for them is to give them a safe, clean environment with a licensed doctor and good moral support.
Anything less is simply a death sentence.
- fionapop likes this
- selfdestructiveblitz reblogged this from anotherfeminist
- abbyechofang reblogged this from stfuconservatives and added:
- abbyechofang likes this
- w-indigo-vertigo likes this
- karmaofmytits reblogged this from prochoicegeneration
- eccentricvixen reblogged this from evashandor
- evashandor reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- runningthroughtheautumnleaves likes this
- immorethanjustaname reblogged this from ultrabuttqueen
- wendyroo likes this
- shmahnmik reblogged this from prochoicegeneration
- eabernathy likes this
- misplaced-in-mindpalace reblogged this from imawhat
- you-barack-my-world reblogged this from imawhat
- imawhat reblogged this from pyrae
- playthenotesyourway reblogged this from anotherfeminist
- rideronapalehorse reblogged this from undermycamoskirt
- undermycamoskirt reblogged this from karnythia
- lola-forizzle reblogged this from anotherfeminist
- saucyletters reblogged this from seriouslyamerica
- saucystaples likes this
- clichez4ever likes this
- devinlefae reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- this-spaceship reblogged this from sluteatingtree
- oopsimblogging reblogged this from butwewereokay and added:
- maybe-oncemaybe-twice reblogged this from sluteatingtree
- sluteatingtree reblogged this from butwewereokay
- dwemerkin likes this
- butwewereokay reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- aitu likes this
- safare reblogged this from stfuconservatives and added:
- emblemred reblogged this from likeabirdinflight
- littlemissleprechaun reblogged this from pyrae
- youmovemepotter reblogged this from zavocado
- coldarrow reblogged this from merinnan
- gravedyard likes this
- gravedyard reblogged this from cinnamon-milk
- themadmaryholiday likes this
- cinnamon-milk reblogged this from soleaveyourselfintact
- darkfeather reblogged this from phantomwise
- phantomwise reblogged this from dickphist
- queeriesandmore reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- kurtsboyfriendfromglee likes this
- zeroatthebone reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- stoopscreations likes this
- paranormal-intercourse reblogged this from bob-ness-1 and added:
- bob-ness-1 reblogged this from paranormal-intercourse and added:
- stoopscreations reblogged this from paranormal-intercourse