My grandmother’s story (via paranormal-intercourse)
My grandmother, who’s a devout Christian born in Texas in 1929, has always been very open minded. She’s not racist or homophobic, most likely because as a Mexican she knew what it was like to face discrimination, but she’s extremely pro-choice, and a few years ago she told us why.
When she was a preteen (11-13), she moved to San Francisco and lived in an apartment building for some time, the woman in the apartment next to her was a young single nurse living on her own. This woman was very friendly, hard not to like.
After a while my grandmother noticed she hadn’t seen the nurse in some time, as did other people in the building. Around the time my grandmother was wondering where she went, she began to notice a bad smell coming from what seemed like somewhere in the apartment. As time went on the smell got worse, until her family realized it was coming from the apartment next to them, the nurse’s home.
When they broke the door down they found the nurse dead in her bathroom, the smell was from her body beginning to rot.
Turns out that the nurse had gotten pregnant from a very high up MARRIED doctor at the hospital she worked at. Of course in that time having a baby out of wedlock, especially from a married man, was something extremely shameful, so she had tried to give herself a home abortion and died in the process.
My grandmother never forgot what had happened to the nurse, and that was the reason she was and still is vehemently pro-choice.
When people say shit like “Our generation survived Roe V Wade” it makes me want to tear my hair out. These people, either out of ignorance or just plain stupidity, don’t acknowledge the FACT that Roe V Wade wasn’t the start of abortion, it was the LEGALIZATION of it.
LEGALIZATION MEANING THAT IT HAD ALREADY BEEN HAPPENING, NOW IT WAS JUST LEGAL TO DO IT.
Before Roe V Wade women like my grandmother’s neighbor were dying or being mutilated by home abortions or unlicensed doctors. Women are going to get abortions whether it’s legal or not, the best thing you can do for them is to give them a safe, clean environment with a licensed doctor and good moral support.
Anything less is simply a death sentence.
- lunahasthephonebox reblogged this from ibuiltasnowtardis
- charlielass reblogged this from ibuiltasnowtardis
- heaintevenagoodlyrottenappeltho reblogged this from ibuiltasnowtardis
- heaintevenagoodlyrottenappeltho likes this
- baker221bstreet likes this
- mycroftbrokemyactionman reblogged this from ibuiltasnowtardis
- mycroftbrokemyactionman likes this
- foreverthelonelytraveller reblogged this from ibuiltasnowtardis
- princesscatofdisney likes this
- amazingly-here reblogged this from bakerstreetregular
- duckvampire114 reblogged this from nerdygeekinthedumbasshat
- duckvampire114 likes this
- rosesarered4 reblogged this from ibuiltasnowtardis
- artichokepenguin reblogged this from ibuiltasnowtardis
- nerdygeekinthedumbasshat likes this
- nerdygeekinthedumbasshat reblogged this from bakerstreetregular
- bakerstreetregular reblogged this from ibuiltasnowtardis
- ibuiltasnowtardis reblogged this from randomness-appears
- dr-whackadoodle reblogged this from prochoicegeneration
- fionapop likes this
- abbyechofang reblogged this from stfuconservatives and added:
- abbyechofang likes this
- w-indigo-vertigo likes this
- karmaofmytits reblogged this from prochoicegeneration
- eccentricvixen reblogged this from evashandor
- evashandor reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- runningthroughtheautumnleaves likes this
- immorethanjustaname reblogged this from manicpixiedeathwitch
- wendyroo likes this
- shmahnmik reblogged this from prochoicegeneration
- eabernathy likes this
- misplaced-in-mindpalace reblogged this from imawhat
- you-barack-my-world reblogged this from imawhat
- imawhat reblogged this from pyrae
- playthenotesyourway reblogged this from anotherfeminist
- rideronapalehorse reblogged this from mostlygoesastray
- mostlygoesastray reblogged this from karnythia
- lola-forizzle reblogged this from anotherfeminist
- saucyletters reblogged this from seriouslyamerica
- saucystaples likes this
- irlwutevr likes this
- devinlefae reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- this-spaceship reblogged this from sluteatingtree
- oopsimblogging reblogged this from butwewereokay and added:
- maybe-oncemaybe-twice reblogged this from sluteatingtree
- sluteatingtree reblogged this from butwewereokay
- dwemerkiin likes this
- butwewereokay reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- aitu likes this