The CEO of Turbosquid got back to me today with some impressive decisions made all on their own. His entire email is above. The sum of things are this:
Turbosquid made $800 off my design. They decided, without my knowledge, to donate the money they earned from my IP to disaster relief. This is incredibly sleazy because: 1. If I complain about it I look like a complete jackass, and 2. they get to claim the donation on their taxes and effectively lose no profit.
Matt has decided that because Shank3D made his very own model of my design, I do not have any right to the profits. This is a very interesting decision that goes against anything I’ve ever read about copyright and IP.
Writing something or creating it yourself does not automatically mean that it is not a copyright infringement. For example, if you write a story based upon another book or take a photograph of a painting, even though you created a new work, it could be what is known as a derivative work and infringement.
Derivative works is a particularly messy area of copyright law and one that is still being settled. However, it is based upon whether an “ordinary observer” would find the works “substantially similar”.
This is a very tricky area but it should suffice to say that simply doing your own work does not protect you from copyright infringement so long as that work is based heavily upon the work of someone else.”
Answer: No. The sculpture would be a derivative work. In one famous case, artists Jeff Koons made a sculpture based on a photograph of a group of puppies and argued that the sculpture was a “fair use.” See Rogers v. Koons, 960 F.2d 301 (2d Cir 1992). The court found that the sculpture was not a fair use, in part because the sculpture damaged the photographer?s potential market for derivative works. The photographer might want to grant a license to another sculptor to make a new work based on the photograph. If so, the existence of Koons’ sculpture could reduce the potential market available to that licensee and thereby reduce the value of the photographer?s copyrights.”
I’d say the 10,000 people who responded to my original post are a good sign that there is nothing impressionably different about Shank3D’s derivative work.
The fact that his work is a “derivative work” and not “theft of work” doesn’t give anyone any more right to profit from my designs. If I did file a lawsuit, while I would not get more than the profit made due to the particulars of this matter, every penny profited from the selling of the work would go to me.
If you make a 3D model of Mickey Mouse and sell it, you don’t get to buy everyone pizza and cake to make up for it when you get caught.
On top of this, they have shown no interest in punishing the seller of the work any further than taking the model down. So in short:
- Shank3D gets to keep ~$800 he made by violating Turbosquid’s TOS in just about every way possible.
-Turbosquid gets to donate ~$800 of their money and decide it was the profit of this model, which is impossible to even prove — it’s abuse of coincidence. Of course there was no indication that it was donated in my name.
-I get to enjoy 0 dollars for my infringement, time taken to remove the infringement, and market confusion.
Pure sleaze. Please RT this (probably) final part of the story so everyone can see what Turbosquid’s idea of fixing the situation is.
Don’t try to call me again, Matt.
- bippityboppitybam likes this
- dinosaurs-on-the-run likes this
- nonecg reblogged this from kouotsu and added:
- asknotepad likes this
- temapup likes this
- mello-artbox reblogged this from skyenat and added:
- kuroigato reblogged this from kouotsu
- unlimitedbeef reblogged this from newoldschool
- killen57 likes this
- theromanticsadist reblogged this from yurochi-yoko
- yurochi-yoko reblogged this from napalmarts
- genolover reblogged this from zilleniose and added:
- vivinox likes this
- axiummaxcat reblogged this from kouotsu
- diabria likes this
- kukei reblogged this from presidents
- skychairstupidstuff reblogged this from zilleniose
- darkspines reblogged this from o-8
- prideof---utopia reblogged this from zambiunicorn
- pygmynoodles reblogged this from alexisrambles
- alexisrambles reblogged this from conceptgerbil and added:
- 23keera likes this
- forceofconviction reblogged this from kouotsu and added:
- poowulpi reblogged this from kouotsu
- lupialex reblogged this from kouotsu
- creatorofthemasses reblogged this from zilleniose
- supersizemysexysex reblogged this from kouotsu
- teahaxor likes this
- sionnachuighim reblogged this from kouotsu
- rlshwiki reblogged this from esbatty and added:
- helkitty1639 reblogged this from queengertrudes
- the-furious-florist likes this
- the-undataker reblogged this from o-8
- balencia reblogged this from queengertrudes
- queengertrudes reblogged this from oyasumiseki
- fullmoonforest likes this
- sweetrivertree reblogged this from joodlez
- luvedragon reblogged this from zilleniose
- hisamochi likes this
- starlightsigner reblogged this from ibiscolors
- lubernugget reblogged this from ibiscolors
- guardianofallator likes this
- sewallyfrustrated reblogged this from kouotsu
- serpentking456 likes this
- chev-bot reblogged this from ibiscolors
- nyegi likes this
- firenationprince reblogged this from sludgu
- sludgu reblogged this from ibiscolors